progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing towards what will be



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

fondant?



When most people are asked to describe their happiest day, it usually revolves around cutting into that big wedding cake with someone special. In my case, it’s more about standing in front of that wedding cake, all alone, and realizing exactly what I created. Much like a first marriage, my first real cake will always hold a special place in my heart.



This was only my second experience with fondant, but its construction hooked me on the mysterious edible play dough, despite the fact that its taste has been compared to that of ‘old people’.

The cake was the final project for my pastry course. It was also my pride and joy.

Blue and white are really classic colors and I had to exercise a lot of restraint not to over work them. Instead, I went with old fashioned embroidery piping... well, because i'm classy.

I free handed the pattern, for some insane reason. The other students told me I was ballsy, which I loved. One can never receive enough compliments about ones balls.



I also heard it referred to as ‘The Wedgwood cake” constantly. I nodded and smiled like any sane person who has no idea what’s going on. Unfortunately, Google quickly revealed that this Wedgwood guy ripped off my cake pattern.

The bitterness passed, because the cake was delicious.

I hope that if Mr. Wedgwood ever reads this, he can take a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment